Friday, March 27, 2009

This and That

What a day!

Yesterday started rough. I got a call at 3:30 in the morning from my mom asking us to take her to the ER. We think it ended up being an ulcer (running more tests today and next week), but at first it was looking slightly heart attack'ish. Anyone who has been reading me for several years knows my dad died two years ago from a sudden heart attack. You can understand that it scared me to death. Having to walk right past the room in the ER that I found out my dad had died is really awful. Thank God that wasn't the case with my mom. Still, we need to get it figured out. The hospital drugged her up so much that I had to watch her at her house all day. My mom and I are serious light weights and taking a benadryl makes us loopy.

At two, I had to leave to go to my new doctors appointment. This was the right decision. The attitudes were so much more positive and they were shocked by the "dead baby" stories I was told about at the old docs. I'm really glad I made this choice. I think this is going to be a much more positive experience. I didn't actually meet my doctor yet, but I loved the midwife I met with.

Good News from the appointment:
  • Uterus measuring perfectly on target
  • Still 3 pound negative gain. I was given permission to "eat whatever I want". Woo-hoo!
  • Baby's heartbeat found instantly and beating in the high 150's.
  • Made 20 week u/s appointment. Can't wait to see the changes in baby!
Bad News from the appointment:
  • Blood pressure was through the roof. :( Possibly from the stress of yesterday, but I seem to have hormonally induced high blood pressure. I can't take birth control pills for the same reason. I'm buying a home blood pressure cuff to monitor it. Looks like I'm headed for BP meds for the duration of the pregnancy though.
  • I had a little bit of a temperature. Again they think it was probably from my tough day. My fever is gone today and I have been ordered to "take it easy" this weekend.
It was an exhausting day and I crashed hard last night. Definite stress, but I'm grateful and hopeful for the outcomes.

Can you believe there is only 24 days until I'm half way done with this pregnancy?! Me either.


Miss X

6 comments:

Wait Another Year said...

Sorry to hear about your mom and your high blood pressure! Hope both of those things will be fine in time. I'll be praying for you both.

Glad to hear little baby is doing great. Yea, it's amazing how far along you have come - almost halfway through!

Also glad to hear you like the new doctor's office. Its so important to feel comfortable with the staff. This is a HUGE moment in your life and you need people that will give you support.

Safire said...

So sorry to hear about your mom and your blood pressure. Glad you're taking steps to keep tabs on it!

And yay for new and happy doctors! :)

deanna said...

I hope your mom is okay! I can't imagine the pain (and fright!) of an ulcer.

I'm so glad you got started at your new OB practice. I've been hoping that your new doctor will be just the most perfect person for you.

That sucks about the blood pressure issues, but good that there's some med they can give you to get it under control.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you switched practices; that other doc is the last thing you need, especially if you're going to be struggling with high blood pressure. She probably would have started scheduling your C section pronto. :(

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, I hope she heals quickly.

Kristy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. It seems like things are looking well though, so that is a good thing.

I'm so glad your appointment was what you were expecting. You need to enjoy every part of this pregnancy!! One word of advice: don't mess with the blood pressure. Been there, done that - twice - and it will be so much better for you if it gets controlled now.

Kate said...

We need updated belly shots!