Tuesday, April 28, 2009

21 Weeks Appointment Update

I had my monthly appointment this morning. This was the first time meeting my new Doctor. Good news first - the ultrasound report shows Baby Girl is totally healthy and normal. YAY! That is a big relief. My weight is up 3lbs from my last appointment 5 weeks ago, putting me 1lb below starting weight. I'm sure I will be above it by next time. Since I started out a little over weight and since the baby is measuring just fine they are fine with my weight. Actually they are kind of thrilled. She said most people gain way too much in pregnancy. Hopefully I can keep the slow weight gain going. Ironically (or not) my uterus is measuring higher then average. Dr. said she totally expected that with someone "shorter-waisted" like me! I almost laughed. That is an understatement! I'm only 5'2" and I wear 32 length pants! I am ALL legs!

I was a good patient and brought in my daily blood pressure readings from home. I asked about going on blood pressure medication and I was denied. The Dr. said my blood pressure isn't high enough for medication. It is in the pre-hypertension category. The bad news is this puts me in the "High Risk" category. I'm pissed about this. I got the pre-eclampsia speech. I have to have an ultrasound at a high risk doctor at 32 weeks to check the baby's growth. High blood pressure can sometimes cause a baby to be small. So far this is NOT the case, but it can be in later pregnancy.

The Dr. also gave me the "high chance of inducing you at 38 or 39 weeks talk". I was not happy about that and told her that. She said she was willing to work with me and if my blood pressure doesn't increase much in later pregnancy she will do blood work/ultrasounds at the end. If the baby is doing fine, she won't induce right away. I told her I really want a natural, hypnobirth and do not want to be induced. She seemed to understand and seems to want to work with me on this, so that gives me some hope. Don't misunderstand me - if it becomes MEDICALLY NECESSARY, then fine. I just don't want to be pushed into early induction without good, non-fear based reason. We are planning on having our hypnobirthing instructor (she's a midwife) be our doula and I sent her off an e-mail about the blood pressure issue for advice.

This all makes me even more glad that I switched doctors though. Even though I really think I would have been happiest with a Midwife, I know I am worlds better with the new doctor then the old one! Speaking of the old clinic, wonders never cease! I just got a refund check in the mail! I'm thrilled.

That's about it on the appointment front. Oh! They gave me my glucose sugar drink to take home. I'm supposed to drink it right before my next appointment. Fun stuff.

Can you believe I only have 19 (or possibly 17/18) weeks left?! I cannot wait! I am so in love with this little girl!


Miss X

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting to be more than 1/2 way there! I'm glad to hear you got that check in the mail...it's nice to have that kind of closure so it's not a nagging annoyance in the back of your mind anymore, right? Crossing my fingers for you that the preeclampsia never surfaces and you are able to follow your birth plan.

deanna said...

I'm sorry about the high blood pressure worries. Hopefully, your levels will stay nice and low, so your High Risk status will be all for naught.

Congrats on the refund check! How awesome is that?!

Brandy said...

I am so sorry I'm behind but holy crap and congratulations on your baby girl!! I'm SO excited for you!

I hate to hear about your blood pressure issues but hopefully things will stay level and won't be an issue lately. There's nothing wrong with taking a watchful approach but I think you are taking a great stance as to research and speaking up for yourself. Can't wait to hear many more updates to come!

Kate said...

Belly shot and update!!!